Monday, July 28, 2008

I am sad

As far back as my mind will reach, I remember going to Granny and Grandad's home just about every week. Sometimes just to visit with them, sometimes to celebrate an occasion, always on Christmas Day to exchange gifts. Their home has been filled with many laughs, tears, worry and joy.

They had a tradition with my sister and me that if it was my birthday, she would also receive one small gift and vice versa. My parents have continued that tradition with my three. It takes the "jealousy" factor out of birthdays ("How come she gets all the gifts, and I don't?"). Also on our birthdays, they would take the whole family to the restaurant of our choice.

On Christmas Day, we would have lunch, open gifts, and drive out to Candy Cane Lane to see the lights. Granny also always fixed Christmas Dixie cups full of Christmas candy for the kids. YUM. If we got married, we no longer received the candy cups. :( haha

After Dennis proposed, that was the first place we went to proclaim our news.

Lots of memories.

My Granny died a year and a half ago. It was very different to go to the house after that, but still great to spend time with Grandad. Grandad's health has declined in the last year, and last winter, he broke his hip and hasn't been home since. Nor will he. He is in a nursing home now, and will always need care. Even though he hasn't been home for several months, I guess the hope has always been in me that he would return.

My Grandparents have many nice neighbors. The family to the east of them used to own a restaurant there in Coffeyville, and their son is buying my Grandparents' home. I went last week to pick up some items from the house before it is no longer Grandad's. I have to say this makes me very sad. I know Grandad is fine with this idea, but it makes me feel weird taking things that are still "theirs" when he is still here with us. I kind of knew it was coming, but kind of hoped it wouldn't.

I am not ready to live without any grandparents. I'm not. Especially my Grandad. He and I have always been close. I don't like this.

2 comments:

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

I am not ready to live without grandparents either!

Jamison said...

I remember when my Grandpa died. It was the first death that I can recall that I had direct contact with the deceased. In a way, I think his death hurt so bad that I somehow created a shell that shields me from it. Death means the same thing for everyone. You lose everything you have and everything you will ever have. But, what you gain is your eternity. Depending on how you lived... Living without grandparents is hard, living without parents is harder. I will be here for you babe! Love you. -Den