Friday, September 5, 2008

My perfect family?

I realized something tonight. I was looking at an old photograph of my grandparents and my dad and his sister when my dad was probably in Jr. High. They all had their "Sunday best" on, and I remembered how my Granny always had everything perfectly in place at their home. NO dust, no "dirtiness" anywhere, all clothes perfectly ironed, everyone always looking their best, and not just on Sundays. Then the more I looked at the picture, I thought about how my aunt turned out to be such an "unperfect" child for them and how much grief and heartache she caused and still causes. I thought to myself, "Maybe they tried so much to look perfect on the outside because there was turmoil on the inside they were trying to hide?" I've always thought that families that looked and seemed perfect were hiding something. That when nobody is watching and behind closed doors, it is so different. Hmmm...could it be true? Maybe it's okay that my family doesn't look so perfect. We try to be as real as possible. I think that, after all, is a great thing.

3 comments:

C Bannon said...

Great post and very true imo...I don't believe that those who look "perfect" are. I know a few families that try hard, and indeed, they are covering for the outside world. I am sad for those families.

Angela said...

What an astute observation . . . reality and transparency is so much better than perfect :)

Shelden said...

I didn't realize that Granny was so neat and tidy!