Sunday, June 8, 2008

Much to post

Well, much has happened since my last post. I won't tell all, I'm sure, but here are the highlights:

We went camping in the Rocky Mountains for a whole week. In a ghetto camper. Surrounded by elk, ground squirrels, chipmunks and deer. And a rumored bear that we never saw. With an outhouse across the road and flushing toilets about 1/2 mile away uphill to get there, downhill back. (You thought I was going to say uphill both ways, huh?) It was breath-taking. Literally. The air is thin up that high. So here I am huffing and puffing just to go brush my teeth. (sigh) It's times like these that I wish I was about 17 again and stick thin. :) It really was beautiful, and we went with friends, so it was fun getting time with them. The camper was nicer than a tent, and I'm afraid a tent might have blown away a few days there because it was so windy. We went on an uphill hike for about 2 miles, which doesn't seem like much, but when you are only walking uphill for that long in the heat and thinner air, it seems much longer. We made it to our destination--a beautiful waterfall. We took group pictures. We then hit the showers at the YMCA. Of course, I got a headache. It was so bad I ended up throwing up my lunch in the YMCA yard. The kids can now officially say that they have seen me puke. Nice. I was down the rest of the evening and took pain pills every day after "just in case". The rest of the trip was fine other than falling into a frozen lake. I'm fine. Really. Otherwise I wouldn't be typing this update. It was quite funny, really. Ask me about it if you want details. 14 hour drive there and back. I still haven't quite recovered sleep, because as soon as we got home we have been dealing with bad tornado-producing weather almost every night. (sigh)

Today was fantastic as we visited a church in my hometown of Caney, KS. One of my friends from 1st-12th grade is the pastor, and he and his wife planned a cookout at the park with us, their family and two other families, one new to us, the other family is one of my dearest friends from high school and her husband and boys. We had a great time visiting and letting the kids play and get to know each other. I am really hoping to keep in touch with them this time.

Well, Dennis needs the computer. I will try to post again soon.

3 comments:

Shelden said...

I don't know if you agree but those were the busiest two weeks of my life.

Tiffany said...

Sounds like you had a blast. :) I'll have to come over and see all your pictures and hear the stories. :)

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

I had a great trip with you guys and I'm glad that you could come!