Monday, March 17, 2008

The Last Supper

I had a wonderful time with my class Friday morning. We have been studying the Gospels all year, and we just studied the Last Supper. I decided to make it "come alive" for them. Before they came into the classroom, I lit candles all around the room, and I had baked unleavened bread the night before. I brought grape juice boxes for them, too. Of course, Shelden knew what I was planning, but Christian walked in a bit shocked. I told them we were traveling back in time to see what it must have been like that evening. (I told them I knew there were no juice boxes back then, but I didn't want to pass germs.) I read from Luke 22 to set the scene. We discussed what it must have been like for the disciples, what they must have thought and felt as Jesus spoke to them. I told them we should never take the elements of Communion without making sure that our hearts are right before God. After talking about that for a while, we each prayed. We took the elements together after reading in Luke. We then sang a hymn/chorus just as the disciples sang when they had finished. It was such a special time with my class. I will never forget it.

4 comments:

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

cool

Jamison said...

You are so creative. Often you wonder if you are being effective, you wonder what difference you are making. Ask those kids! Ask them if they will remember anything you have taught them. You are an awesome teacher and your legacy will out live you!

Anonymous said...

what a creative idea! You must me a very intellgient teacher to think of something so life-like i wish i could thought of that.

Joy said...

Michelle,
what a great idea! You always come up with something to make what you are teaching about come alive! You are a great teacher. Isaac will love it when you are his teacher. He loves stuff like that. It makes it so real. Keep up the awesome job. Don't get weary in doing well, and you are doing well!
Joy