Sunday, April 13, 2008

Life and Death with words

I was visiting with Tiffany last night, and we were looking at my old yearbooks. A certain teacher's picture was visible, and I told her how he had spoken death to me in 3rd grade. The Bible speaks of humans having the ability to speak life to others or to speak death. We need to choose our words carefully, because some words can not only hurt but can alter the course of someone's life for good OR bad.

Here is what happened to me in 3rd grade: This teacher walked in to all three 3rd grade classrooms and went around the room asking each and every child what they wanted to be when they grow up. The children would answer him, and he would ask the next one. However, if we answered, "A teacher," he stated, "Oh, so you want to be poor your whole life?" Now, I knew my parents were not well-off, and I certainly did not want to be poor! What was I to do? I had dreamed of being a teacher my whole life to that point! I was one of the kids who answered, "Teacher." From that day on, I knew my dream had to be thrown away. I did not know what I should do. I tossed around some ideas during Jr. High, and my Senior year, I decided I liked accounting. I began college thinking I would get an Accounting degree, but decided the first year of college that I didn't want to do that. I didn't want to lose any credits that I already had, so I opted for Business Administration. Now, I'm glad I received my degree, but guess what I am doing now? Teaching. My dream didn't have to be thrown away (thank you, Lord), but I wonder what kind of a teacher I could be if I would've received more training and went for a teaching degree.

Now, perhaps this man had wanted a raise and didn't receive one and was just taking out his anger this way...it's hypothetical, but he could've had some reason to be ranting and raving about teachers being poor. I don't know. However, 3rd graders don't have the ability to rationalize that. All we heard were his words about how bad it was to be a teacher. Death.

Lesson: Be careful what you say, especially to children. It could affect the rest of their lives.

4 comments:

Shelden said...

That would make me feel the same way. I wouldn't want to become a teacher if someone told me that! It's depressing and sicking! I'm glad you are a teacher though. Your one of my favorite teachers. You get to be with me pretty much every minute of the day. And I love that. I look forward to many more years of you teaching at the school. I just can't stop writing good things about you! Your the best mom ever! I love you! Lots of love,


-Shelden

Tiffany said...

I wonder how that teacher turned out? It's sad to think there are teachers in the world that hate what they do and thus take it out on their students. Teachers are some of the greatest people in the world. And if you think about it that was one of Jesus' professions while here on earth. He was the greatest teacher the world has ever seen. We should remember to teach like he did, saying "let the little children come to me." I had fun hanging out with you.

Ps
I want the recipe for the tuna patties. They were so good. :)

Love you
Tiff

Jamison said...

I am pretty sure that you would have been a great accountant. But as a teacher, you are incredible!

Michelle said...

AWW, you guys are so nice! Thanks for the sweet comments. ;)