Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Things I remember: childhood

Here are some things I remember about growing up in my small Kansas hometown. It's not a comprehensive list, it's just things that I remember very well.

  • My little house on Wood Street (2 bedrooms, 1 bath)
  • Remodeling our little house into a 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
  • Sweeping up the saw dust during the remodel: how it smelled, how the men were surprised the next day to see it cleaner
  • Playing on my swing set and singing while swinging
  • Playing with my sister and best friend outside: making mud pies, playing whiffle ball, playing in the snow and acting like it was a blizzard and we were Laura, Mary and Carrie Ingalls getting lost in the blizzard
  • Being a member of the "congregation" as my sister preached to me from her "pulpit", which was my baby doll suitcase
  • Being a cheerleader for my sister, the football player
  • My dog, Snuggles (1/2 poodle, 1/2 schnauzer), whom I had from ages 2-15
  • How Snuggles became blind and deaf the older she got
  • All of my grade school teachers
  • How our lunch ladies made the BEST hot rolls I've ever had
  • The taste of our lunchroom pizza
  • How nervous I would get about the first day of school
  • How much I LOVED school
  • How much I loved fried chicken
  • How everyone knew your name in our small town
  • How, even as a young child, my best friend and I could walk uptown by ourselves and have nothing to worry about (and neither did our parents)
  • The sound of the wooden floors in our "dime" store and the smell of that store
  • Looking at Smurf figurines at the Pharmacy, saving up money to collect as many as I could
  • Spending the night at friends' houses; laughing a lot
  • Going to our school carnival every year and coming home with "useless" treasures
  • Playing "school" in my bedroom
  • Playing "secretary" in my bedroom
  • Thinking your small home is big
  • Thinking your school is gigantic!
  • Getting lost in TG&Y
  • Eating at Pizza Hut with my family every Saturday before buying groceries
  • Eating at Long John Silvers when we were tired of Pizza Hut
  • Looking at Christmas lights every year with Granny, Grandad, mom and dad, especially Candy Cane Lane
  • Going to the mall in Bartlesville, OK a lot and going to the mall in Tulsa, OK every year for new school clothes
  • The sights and sounds of my hometown church
  • The sights and sounds of my hometown library
  • The feel of my grandparents' hugs
  • Sitting on my mom's lap and listening to her heartbeat as she would read to me
  • Getting new Easter dresses every year
  • Helping decorate for Christmas every year
  • Melting tinsel on the old fashioned large bulbs that got HOT!
  • Buying new record albums and memorizing them ALL after listening to them through twice
  • The sights and sounds of our city pool
  • Going skating with our third grade class for the "end of the year" party
  • The sound of my best friend, Cari's, voice
  • The sound of Cari's mom's voice
  • Skating on Cari's neighbor's driveway listening to "Footloose"
  • Playing in the building behind our home, which at one time was an apartment, but we used it for storage and called it "The Little House"
  • The smell of dad using a charcoal grill on Saturday nights in the summer on our patio
  • Always feeling like I was older than I was
  • Listening to Elvis records and belting the song out along with him
  • Moving on to Barbara Mandrell and then Olivia Newton-John
  • Loving to play with baby dolls and wearing as much jewelry as I could
  • Trying to learn to ride a bike without training wheels and getting mad at the bike
  • Watching my sister wreck her 3-speed bike on gravel and running home to tell mom and dad
  • Being so happy to receive "Underoos" for Christmas
  • Hating the physical fitness tests that we had to do every year at school
  • Getting car sick any time we traveled
  • Going to my Aunt and Uncle's after school
  • Riding in my Aunt's station wagon with all of my cousins singing songs
  • Going to the State Fair with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins
  • Going trick-or-treating to houses of people we knew
  • Playing board games all summer with my sister, some of them lasting for days
  • Watching the Wizard of Oz once a year and being scared every time by the Wicked Witch
  • Missing my teachers when we would be on break (I know, sick, aren't I? haha)
  • Vacationing in Branson a LOT; once with my Granny and Grandad
  • The smell of the asphalt in the summer at Silver Dollar City
  • Listening to my mom hum or sing softly in the car
  • Spraining my ankle at school during P.E. and spraining the other one on my way home from Cari's
  • Watching smoke billow out from our grade school when it was set on fire
  • All the kids squished inside the gymnasium or music room for classes after the fire
  • The feeling enjoyment while playing on the scooters
  • Getting scared when an old car with strange looking men stopped and one of the men started getting out while we were playing whiffle ball outside
  • Pulling apart hundreds of rollie-polies
  • Pulling apart a bee and getting the stinger in my thumb (I didn't know it could hurt me, I just thought it was pretty.)
  • Falling asleep on my teeter-totter
  • Learning to crochet
  • Learning what "long distance" is the hard way :(
  • Always playing "mommy"
  • Admiring my neighbors beautiful maple trees in the fall
  • Having school parties, especially Valentine's Day
  • Eating hamloaf at Granny and Grandad's for Easter
  • Eating mom's chili and my Aunt's potato soup on Christmas Eve at Grandad's
  • Spending Christmas Day at Granny and Grandad's
  • Going to the capitol building in 5th grade because I won a report-writing contest
  • Listening to Grandad's stories
  • Getting my tonsils out
  • Swinging on the swingset at school and jumping off at the highest point
  • Moving to Pittsburg for my 6th grade year
  • Hating living in Pittsburg
  • Moving back to hometown in 7th grade
  • Sleeping in my sister's room when it was hot so we could share a fan
  • Sunday School each Sunday
  • Being in "Sword Drills"; practicing, competing and going to Salina for State Competition
  • Going to Glorieta, NM to watch my friend compete in the nationals for sword drills
  • Going to Arkansas for a family reunion
  • Wondering which teacher I would have next year; excited for mom to come home and tell me after she pre-enrolled us
  • Watching "Hee Haw" on Saturday nights
  • Lining up "boy, girl, boy girl" or "BGBGBG" as one teacher called it
  • My dad teaching me to wrap gifts; mom making me the official "gift wrapper" of the family (except my gifts)
  • My Mickey Mouse night light, which I had a nightmare about one time while I was sick with fever
  • My Crayola Caddy and hours I would spend using it
  • Coloring with my sister
  • Making my sister come home and play school with me when I was too young to go so I could know everything she learned
  • April 1, 1979--Asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior
  • My baptism--being scared I would drown and saying, "I want my daddy!"
  • Being in children's choir at church: doing plays, singing, doing puppet shows, etc.
  • Getting my Barbie kitchen from Granny and Grandad
  • Getting a large double-sided chalkboard to play school from mom and dad
  • Playing Pacman and Ms. Pacman at my friend's house
  • Going to church camp "Virgil" which I did not like
  • I liked going to the car wash with Dad because he would buy me a bottle (glass bottle) of Crush soda (orange, grape, strawberry)
  • Getting mad at my sister when we played "Aggravation"
  • Having a GREAT childhood

3 comments:

Shelden said...

This and this and this and this and it keeps going onnnnnnnnnnnn and onnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Tiffany said...

Unlike Shelden I enjoyed reading all your childhood memorie. It made me remember some things I had forgotten. Thanks for sharing! :)

Joy said...

What a cool idea. I think I will start a list of my own. Thanks!!
Joy